Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Self-Harm Awareness Day (Post #16)

I have been informed that today is Self-Harm Awareness Day.

Wow Dorothy! Put on the breaks, you might say! We do not TALK about those people...They are WEIRD.

Well, guess what? These people are in indescribable pain that most of us cannot even begin to relate to.  They are not WEIRD. We all deal with pain in different ways. Some people have faith, some people eat, some people get sick, some people talk to everyone, and some people cut themselves.  They aren't weird, they are hurting people that need Jesus's love.

First off, if you're a self harmer, I want you to know that there are people who love you.  I know you may not see it or feel it, but there are people who want to help you and will give of their lives to support you and love you. Second, there is a way out.  I know you might be scared to tell people about your cutting or whatever else you do, but God will bring you through whatever it takes to help you if you let Him.  God sees every single time you hate yourself, every time you fall, every time that you called out and thought He or anybody else didn't hear.  He DID hear.  I know this to be true, and I mean I REALLY know.  God's purposes are far beyond us and please trust that He will give you the strength to get through the pain, and bring you to a brighter day. God will help you and assist you if you let Him into your heart. He is standing at the door knocking! Let Him in!  Yes, God requires us to stop sinning, but the rewards will be far greater following Him and the pain much worse if we walk away.

“Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob, 
   all the remnant of the people of Israel, 
you whom I have upheld since your birth, 
   and have carried since you were born. 
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs 
   I am he, I am he who will sustain you. 
I have made you and I will carry you; 
   I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (Isaiah 46: 3-4)


HE IS CARRYING YOU. If it hurts. Close your eyes and believe that you don't have to stumble through life anymore by yourself, imagine that you can feel Him as He carries you through. He is there, CARRYING YOU.


Jesus died on the cross FOR you.  You don't have to hurt yourself or bear the guilt of what you have done because it is ALREADY FINISHED.  Your sins have BEEN ERASED.  God looks at you as if you had never sinned! I can barely believe this.  Let us let this sink in for a moment.  WE NEVER HAVE SINNED, WE NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG.  We have the strength to turn from our wicked ways!!! Believe and rejoice, beloved one, because it is the truest thing that you will ever hear. 


The last thing I want to tell you is to get help.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GOING TO A COUNSELOR, CALLING A SUICIDE HOTLINE, TALKING TO YOUR PARENTS, PASTOR, ANYONE ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS, GOING TO A PSYCHIATRIST, CHECKING YOURSELF INTO REHAB, GOING TO THE HOSPITAL.  Our society lies to us and tells us that doing these things means we're some kind of crazy people.  WE'RE NOT.  Some people have tuberculosis or other diseases and spend half their lives in the hospital. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THAT AND GETTING HELP FOR SELF-HARM!!!  Some people have REALLY messed up families and carry scars of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse with them their whole lives. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE ISSUES, WE SHOULD DEAL WITH OUR PROBLEMS AND TRUST OUR SAVIOR TO REDEEM OUR BROKEN LIVES.  


You number my wanderings;
Put my tears into Your bottle;
Are they not in Your book?
When I cry out to You,
Then my enemies will turn back;
This I know, because God is for me. (Psalm 58:8-9)


God has seen EVERY SINGLE tear you have cried and puts it into a bottle.  He KNOWS your suffering and will NEVER leave you.  HE HAS A PLAN FOR YOUR DELIVERANCE! This isn't just for people who harm themselves, if you are in any hard time of your life, hear this good news!


11 In God I have put my trust;
I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me? (Psalm 58:11)



IT'S OK
YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT
PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE, EVEN ME.  HELP IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER, JUST HOLD ON TO JESUS, YOU WILL MAKE IT THROUGH! I PROMISE YOU!




The other point I want to make is to people like myself.  People who DON'T self-harm, and, possibly, come from a conservative circle where self-harm is not mentioned much.


THIS IS REAL.  There are people ALL around you.  Stop acting like it's just those emo kids that do it, because they are NOT the only ones! In fact, how do we even know if all emo's self-harm? SELF-HARM IS NOT LIMITED TO AGE, STEREOTYPE, OR CLASS!!  One time I heard some people making fun of a rich person who they know who cuts.  That hurts me so bad.  JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MATERIAL THINGS DOESN'T MEAN YOU AREN'T PRONE TO SELF-HARM!!! Money and things do not give a person happiness, only salvation through Jesus Christ can truly satisfy!!!


Please be aware and sensitive and loving towards the depressed and offer them the hope of Jesus.  Don't shut them out or treat them like they are out of your league. THAT'S WHAT THE SINS OF THE PHARISEES WERE!!! We don't want to be like them, do we?  Remember, WE HAVE ALL FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD. OUR SIN IS ALL ALIKE TO GOD.


Further reading:


twloha.com


http://paigehasastory.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/question-of-the-week-cutting/


Much love to ALL,
 Dorothy :))

1 comment:

  1. Have I ever told you I love you, Dorothy? ;-) but seriously, this was beautiful and so true. I appreciate you so much for the heart you have for people who are struggling. You have a gift in expressing the beautiful forgiveness we can receive. This was amazing to me. Especially those verses you shared...i needed that! Love you :D

    elissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!! I love comments :))